This is a list of things to do each day if you choose happy. This is my way of turning on the light. Try it. It works for me.
No, this list is not about what to do when Eskom implements load-shedding, although happiness will certainly be found the day that load-shedding is a thing of the past and we can indeed turn on the light.
- Listen to the birds in the early morning. If there are no birds where you live, skip this. But open a window and listen to the beautiful sounds of a new day beginning.
- Start your day with a thank you – be consciously aware of all that you have and be thankful for that. Be truly grateful for what you have.
- Sing in the shower. Loudly.
- Before you leave home in the morning, hug and kiss your family. If you live on your own, wave to the neighbours.
- When you step out of the house, take a deep breath and lift your face up to the sun.
- Be cheerful when you arrive at work. It is a great way to start the day.
- Give random gifts to people. Not just on their birthdays. Give your time to people. It is the most valuable gift, and it shows appreciation.
- Laugh out loud. Every day.
- Do the following exercises – skip, run up and down the stairs as fast as you can, race someone backwards. When you’re done, fall flat on your back on your bed. Repeat as often as you like.
- If you can, get a dog and live by the sea.
Lucha Greyling (CA)SA is a partner at Newtons Chartered Accountants in Bloemfontein and a member of the SAICA Central Region Tax Sub-committee