“Be less hard on yourself and cut down on your expectations.”
I read a great article by Marc Colin and want to give you my take on it as it is something that I live by, am passionate about and know will add value to your life and business if you commit to make it a priority.
I prioritise and respect my enjoyment in life. Decisions are made around that to achieve the best balance possible.
Is your enjoyment negotiable? Do you have the balance you talk about and crave for? What are you selling your enjoyment for?
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
You know the story of Ferris taking the day off to just enjoy life. Playing by his rules, he has fun and respect from others.
Allow me to use the movie to highlight key life and work lessons and how to experience daily.
• Appreciate today: You don’t have time to waste.
Life is fast and the only person that can slow it down is you.
Don’t let the sun rise or set on any day without your gratitude for it.
• Be less serious: Stress is the biggest indirect killer today. Be mindful on purpose. Relax! Be less hard on yourself and cut down on your expectations. Remember the journey is more important than the destination.
• Respect and prioritise your boundaries: Define your boundaries. Share them. Respect them and others will too. And enjoy them for what they add to your life.
• Make your time off count: Key is to live on purpose and fill your time with everyhting you want to experience and do (read non-negotiables), committing and doing it will directly force you to want to do more of it.
Look forward to it and have it outweigh anything else that could be a distraction.
• Bend the rules (… sometimes): Sometimes playing by the rules will cost you your dreams. Of course you shouldn’t end up in jail or without a job because of it but there is more than one way to skin a cat … Think outside of the box if you dare to priortise life.
Now, go watch the movie and relax. Commit to your own actions and share with someone. And start enjoying life and business again … ❐
Author: Stanford Payne CA(SA) is an ICF Accredited Executive and Business Coach